Hover to animate.
Here's a checklist that you can review right at the start of the writing process, during the writing to be sure you're on track, and afterwards during review and redrafting.
- Are my themes clear to me? To my readers?
- Have I decided upon a genre? Why do I choose to write in this field?
- How far has the 'territory' of my story been explored before? How? By whom? With what results?
- Am I bringing something fresh to this field? What? How?
- Am I using the motifs of the genre deliberately, constructively, effectively?
- Do I know enough about my characters? Are they 'in-formed' and clear in my mind?
- Is the storyline mapped out clearly?
- Have I considered variations, twists and alternatives within this overall plan?
- Do I have an idea of the extent of this piece of work? Have I settled on a plan-of-work in terms of when and where, how long and how often I’ll write?
- Does my overall plan incorporate a chapter and/or scene breakdown? If not, will it help me to have one?
- Are the themes, genre, characters, storyline and breakdown congruent – do they fit well together?
- Are the background and settings for the story clear and appropriate?
- Do I have at least a working title?
- Whose point of view will the narrative take? Would an alternative point of view be more appropriate, effective, original?
- How do I feel as I prepare to begin this work? Am I confident, excited, filled with a creative buzz? (If not, what must I now do to achieve that resourceful state?)
- Do I have a first scene/paragraph/sentence in mind?
- Have a considered a more powerful way of beginning the tale?
- Have I organised my working time so that I can write without distractions?
- Is there anything else I need to attend to before I begin?
- Do I have a hot cup of tea nearby?
You can also use a 'count up from a story' once the first draft or subsequent drafts have been written.
- Am I broadly happy with the outcome?
- Am I especially satisfied with particular passages?
- Do I know why I am pleased with them?
- Am I particularly dissatisfied with any parts of this story?
- Do I know how to fix them?
- Can I use anything from this story in any future projects?
- Can I 'repackage' the story in some other way? Could it generate a sequel?
- What have I learned about writing by making this story?
- What have I learned about myself by writing this story?
- Do I know how to prepare this story for submission?
- Have I researched the market so I know where to send it?
- Do I know how to count down towards my next project?
— Steve Bowkett
|Author:||Kevin Machin||Date:||November 8, 2017 6:00 am|
|Comments:||0 – permitted||Article:||6085 – published|